Germany has state funded educational system which provide free education to thousands of students from all over the world. German universities are among the ancient educational institutes in Europe. Many students go to Germany to learn German language, however most of the German universities provide free language classes to international students who study other degree programs. Students who want to apply for free study in Germany need to meet tough criteria. Due to free education, competition is very high so only serious and competent students get this chance. Almost all main German universities offer courses in both English and German languages. Following are the two pre-requisites;
Language requirement depends upon medium of instruction in your course. If your intended program is in German language, then you must hold a recognized German language certificate. There are many universities in Germany who offer free German language classes to the students who succeed in their admission criteria. They are issued conditional visa to learn German language. After completing the required proficiency level in German language, they can continue their main academic program.
On the other hand if program is in English then you would need IELTS or TOEFL test score. To get exemption from IELTS/TOEFL or other English assessment tests, you must demonstrate exceptional English proficiency through several academic and professional certification. German embassy in few countries require IELTS/TOEFL as a must have document even your institute does ask you to do so. For current legislations, you must contact your local German embassy or consulate.
Proof of Financial Sufficiency
For study visa, German universities do not charge high tuition fees, so they require students to be able to meet their living expenses easily. All students applying for German student visa outside Germany must demonstrate that they hold sufficient funds for their first year of living in Germany. This can be done in either of these three ways;
- Make fixed deposit of €7760/ in any German bank and agree not to withdraw more than €648/ per month. Amount will remain in your own account;
- you hold a scholarship from German or local institute or private government
- any German resident give guarantee of the same amount on your behalf
How to apply for free study in Germany
To apply for free study in Germany, students must get enrolled at a recognised German university. You need following documents to apply student visa for Germany;
- Travel document or passport valid for at least 6 months
- Proof of language proficiency (IELTS 6.0 bands or equivalent)
- Four recent photos of each applicant included in the application
- Offer letter or proof of enrolment from a recognised German institute
- Proof of funds for living expenses during your stay in Germany
- All educational documents duly attested and verified by relevant authorities
- Valid travelling insurance from an approved insurance company with cover of at least Euros 30,000 per year
Where to apply?
Student admission applications are made directly to institutes but after getting admission, you can submit visa application at nearest German embassy or consulate. You need an appointment to visit German visa offices, so please check with your German embassy before going there. Find nearest German embassy.