Germany has strict language requirements for international student who want to apply for study in Germany. Language requirements vary on several factors including the medium of instruction of your intended study and country you belongs to. Overseas students must provide proof of language proficiency else their visa will be refused. Here is detail of the language requirement need to provided with your visa application.
If your program is in German Language
If your intended program is in German language then you need to provide German language proficiency. There are two tests acceptable as German language proficiency.
- Zertifikat Deutsch by Goethe-Institut (GI) or by TELC
- Zertifikat Deutsch fur Jugendliche by GI
You do not need to provide these test in two situations;
- If your university/college writes clearly on your letter of admission that they have tested your German language proficiency up to their required level.
- You are able to secure admission in a German language course not less than 20 hours a week
In all other situations, you have to provide Deutsche language certificate from one of the recognized test organizations.
If your intended course in in English
Many of German colleges and universities offers programs in English language. If your intended course is in English language, you will need to provide English proficiency only. There are two acceptable English tests;
- TOEFL – Minimum score of 550 on paper based test or 213 in computer based test
- IELTS – A minimum IELTS band 6.0
You do not need to provide English language test if you are resident of a country where English is the national language or you have studied a minimum two years program in an English country.