Australian students wanting to study abroad are often hesitant to pursue for varying reasons. But often, the biggest reason that they don’t pursue an education abroad was because of cost. These students, however, generally don’t know that they can avail study abroad scholarships for Australian students. With study abroad scholarships available for Australian students, they can study overseas without worrying so much about cost as they are provided by varying financial aids.
What Are Study Abroad Scholarships?
Students who want to study outside of the country can apply for scholarships and on-campus financial aid on their study abroad trip. With these study abroad scholarships for Australian students, you can find that it is actually cheaper for you to study abroad when you pay out-of-state tuition than with on-campus semester. In study abroad scholarships, students are given monetary reward that they can use for the expenses of their study abroad program.
Study abroad scholarships for Australian students often include monetary reward for the course, travel, lodging and books. This way you will not have anything to worry about regarding the cost of your study while you are studying under the course or program you applied for. There are different study abroad scholarships available with some being underutilized while others quite competitive. The different types of study abroad scholarships available include:
- Program-Specific Scholarship – This type of scholarships are offered based on a specific program, college or university that a qualified applicant may be associated with. Program-specific scholarships are often given based on personal and academic achievement but the very qualifications vary particularly on the program.
- Student-Specific – In this type of scholarship, applicants are qualified based on certain factors including gender, family, race, medical history, religion and others that are specific to a student.
- Subject- Specific Scholarships – In subject-specific scholarships, study abroad scholarships for Australian students are awarded based on a specific field of study or major with qualifications varying on every scholarship.
- Destination-Specific Scholarships – This type of study abroad scholarships for Australian students are given to students who are planning on pursuing an education program in specific country and often given as an incentive for deciding to study in that particular county.
- Merit-Based Scholarships – These were scholarships that were given to a student based on his/her academic, athletic, artistic skills or other abilities.
These are the different types of study abroad scholarships that you can apply for. The qualifications for each of them may vary depending on the scholarship or the program itself. If you are looking to study abroad, a great place to look for scholarships and financial assistance is the Study Overseas site by the Australian government.
Some of the scholarships for studying abroad that the Australian government provides include scholarships for multiple countries such as Indigenous Scholarships where you can find a searchable database about funding opportunities given to Indigenous Australians. There is also the Menzies Foundation that provides scholarships in promotion of Australia’s next generation leaders. Of course, the Association of Commonwealth Universities is also a great place where you can get Commonwealth Scholarships in low and middle income countries for studying.