Temporary Graduate Visa For Overseas Students In Australia

Overseas students in Australia come from more than 180 countries from all over the world. During their studies many of them find Australia as lovely place to settle permanently. However it might be hard to meet the criteria for permanent residence so Australia government has also provided opportunity to get Temporary Graduate Visa after finishing your studies. There are two kind of Temporary Graduate Visas available for overseas students who have completed their qualification in Australia.

  1. Graduate Work stream
  2. Post-study Work stream

Both visas allows allow you to work, study and travel in and outside Australia. Temporary Graduate Visa is only for students who previously hold student visa subclass 572, 573 or 574. No other visa holder are ineligible for temporary Graduate Visa.

Requirement for Temporary Graduate Visa

Each of Graduate Work Stream and Post-Study Work Stream have their own specific requirements. However to be eligible for one of Graduate temporary visa, you must meet following criteria.

  • Must be under age of 50
  • Are in Australia on an eligible visa (Subclass 572, 573 or 574)
  • Have required English language proficiency (IELTS 6.0 in each part)
  • Meet health and character requirements for Australia visa
  • Meet two years Australia study requirements with past 6 months of application for Temporary graduate visa


Graduate Work Stream

Australia-356x334This stream allows you to stay in Australia for a period of 18 months. You can work, travel or study while living on temporary graduate visa. Before you apply for this visa stream, you should nominate your occupation in skilled occupation list. You must meet Australian study requirement to apply for this visa which demands you to study in Australia as full time student. Your course should comprise at least 92 weeks and you should complete this study program in not less than 16 months.

Post-study Work stream

Post-Study Work Stream is second option under Temporary Graduate Visa subclass 485. Only those students can apply for Post-study work stream who are granted their first Australian student visa on or after 5 November 2011. This visa allows you to stay in Australia for a period of 2 to 4 years depending on your previous visa.

  • 2 years stay if you hold advanced diploma, bachelor or master degree by coursework.
  • 3 years stay will be given if you have completed master degree by research work
  • Maximum of 4 years stay will be awarded if you were a doctorate or post-doctorate student

All students applying either for Graduate Work Stream or Post-study Work Stream must have completed their degrees from Australian institute while living in Australia. English language courses can not be added to the required duration of your stay in Australia. Only those students can apply for temporary graduate visa who have completed their study in Australiawithin last 6 months.

We will be happy to hear your thoughts

Leave a reply